Len de Villiers is the Chairman of the CIO Council of South Africa and previous Group CIO at Absa Bank, Nedbank, First National Bank,Transaction Capital and Telkom Group.
Len is currently serving on 4 Company Boards as Non-Executive Director with specific accountability as Chairman of their IT Board Sub Committees.
Len has 41 years’ experience in the IT industry and considered to be one of the top CIO’s in South Africa. De Villiers was voted “the most admired CIO in South Africa” by the CIO Council of South Africa consisting of the top 200 CIO’s in the country and voted as one of the Top 10 CIO’s in SA by IITPSA / MWEB in 2016
He began his career in 1978 in IT management positions at BP, Metro Cash and Carry and Gencor. He joined First National Bank as GM of IT in 1986, followed by 3 years as MD of Microdata and as an Executive Director at Datakor Holdings.
Len was appointed Managing Director of Nedbank’s Group Operations in 2003 and as MD of Nedbank’s Group Technology and Support Services (GTSS) in August 2004 which incorporated the Shared Services with 16,000 staff.
De Villiers was a member of Nedbank’s Executive for 5 years, reporting to Tom Boardman and won several top achiever awards as well as the highest award in Nedbank (the CEO award in 1998).
He spent 15 years with Nedbank, left as the Group CIO and joined Absa Bank as Group CIO on 1 August 2008 until December 2011.
Len crafted the 5 year Strategic Technology Plan for the Absa Group articulating the technology plans and initiatives necessary to create and support the underlying Technology required for their ‘One Absa’ Strategy.
Len joined Transaction Capital in January 2012 as Group CIO with responsibility for Bayport and Chairing the IT Steerco for the Transaction Capital Group.
Len was appointed to Telkom South Africa as Group CIO and a member of Telkom Group EXCO on 1 November 2013 until 31 March 2018
Len’s current positions include:
- Non-Executive Director at BCX (South Africa’s largest IT Company)
- Non-Executive Director at IEMAS Financial Services
- Non-Exec Director of Zambia National Commercial Bank (ZANACO)
- Chair the above Companies IT Board Sub Committees
- Chair of the PIC – IT Board Sub Committee
- Group CIO Telkom Group
Currently based in South Africa in Johannesburg
- DIS, Information Technology, 2007 / 2010 , Harvard Business School (USA)
- GITI, Information Technology & Telecommunications, 1995, INSEAD Business School, (France)
- Managing Strategic Competitive Advantage in SA – 1987 -Wits Business School
- Nat Dipl. In Electronic Data Processing, 1979, Tygerberg Technical College (SA)
- Managing in a Service Industry – 1988 – Wits Business School
- Essentials of Managerial Finance – 1988 – Wits Business School
- The Executive Negotiator -1988 – Wits Business School
- Rand Afrikaans University – BA Economics and Statistics ( 1986/1987)
PAST BOARD MEMBERSHIPS
- Director at Microdata International
- Director of Datakor Network Technologies
- Director of Datakor Limited
INDUSTRY BODY / MEMBERSHIPS / AWARDS
- Won several top achiever awards as well as the highest award in Nedbank (the CEO
Award in 1998).
- Most admired CIO in South Africa in 2009 from Top 200 CIO’s
- Top 10 Finalist in the IITPSA / MWEB CIO Personality of the Year 2016